Tuesday, May 10, 2011

If It Ain't Here, It's Down the Road

It always feel better to get Monday down. Sunday nights have to be the worst – with Monday looming over you like that. But once you get to Monday night, things just feel better. You still have the whole week ahead of you, but somehow, it feels doable.

I’m hoping that one of these days, I won’t have to think in terms of Sundays and Mondays. Because I think when you’re doing what you really want to be doing, you don’t have that working week dread. I couldn’t say for sure, but I imagine you don’t even think in terms of weekends or weekdays. It’s just all good.

And actually, even though I complain, I do like what I’m doing. It’s definitely a job – that’s for sure. Being a reporter is a lot of work. Hard work, sometimes. But it’s never boring, and I’m getting to do what I love everyday – which is write – even if it’s in a more rigid environment than I’d like it to be.

Speaking of writing, I’ve totally been slacking the last few weeks. Still working on my second draft of Drowning in the Dark part two, but I got sidetracked somewhere along the way. Got to get back on that horse. From my experience, I find that lulls in the writing process are pretty natural. Sometimes you have to let the book breathe – and let yourself breathe at the same time. So, while I’m not writing, I am thinking about my characters, and thinking about the story. I’m thinking a lot about Sam’s character lately, and the strengths and weaknesses of her personality. And I’m thinking about how to stay true to her voice.

Anyway, those are some of my thoughts on this Monday night before I retire for the evening. It’s been a long day, and I have an even longer week ahead, but I’m making progress, and I’m getting there.

No comments:

Post a Comment