Saturday, June 11, 2011

Saturday Morning Thoughts

Alright, since the main blog page has been stuck on the Cucumber Lemongrass Basil liqueur photo for the last two weeks, I thought it was high time I put in a blog entry!

The last two weeks have been a series of ups and downs. Ups with some major breakthroughs in the second Drowning in the Dark book, some good reviews, some good weekends with early summer beers and good friends. Downs with some mediocre reviews of Drowning in the Dark, struggling to finish my second editing run through of the second book, and feelings of being trapped and my youth disappearing into my 9-5 job. I’m turning 24 next month, and lately I’ve been overcome with the thought that I’m getting so old! Stupid, I know. Everybody tells me it’s a stupid thought, that I’m in my prime, etc. etc. But sometimes, it feels like things are going by fast. Very, very fast.

Anyway, it’s probably best not to think so much about things you can’t control. Best to just take things one day at a time. Reviews are like that too -- things that are out of my control. Sometimes that’s hard though, and hard not to take the mediocre ones personally. But, it’s good to have some perspective with it. It’s another person’s opinion, coming from a completely different angle. The only thing I can do is make sure I put my best into the book, which I feel that I’ve done, and will continue to do with the sequels and other series. And as long as I know that, I’m good.

One of the benefits of the reviews, though, is that I’m learning more about the audience and market, which is always helpful. Some reviewers have had some very excellent insight into the book, which will definitely help me with my future ones!

Anyways, those are some of my thoughts on a Saturday morning after a couple of bumpy weeks. But thankfully, I’ve got the entire weekend ahead of me to enjoy. Today I’m making Cherry Mojitos from Cathy Kasey’s Northwest Table cookbook, which is pretty amazing. Everything I’ve made from that book is just dynamite, and I’m sure the Cherry Mojitos will be too. I’ll post some photos of them later today or tomorrow. Also, this weekend marks the official end to the four-week infusion process of the liqueurs, which means I get to strain and bottle them finally. And drink them too! I hope they’ve been worth the wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment