Monday, February 6, 2012

Writer at the Bar: Clove Clementine Sidecar

I thought it was high time to add a little more pizazz to my blog. I think it needs a little more fun (couldn’t we all?) One of my goals for the New Year was to do just that, so in that spirit, I’m going to try and infuse a little life into The Plot.

Writing is hard work, and sometimes, you just need to take a break and head for the bar. I’m no mixologist, but I do enjoy making tasty cocktails (and drinking them) from time to time. Here is the first in a series of weekly posts that feature me doing just that. I will be posting this series on Mondays because I figure that if you’re anything like me, you might be thinking a lot about Friday right about now. Hopefully, this gives you a little hope.

This weekend, I was inspired to make a variation of the Sidecar Cocktail using some amazingly delicious Clementines that were in the house. I bought a five-pound box a few days ago, and they’re probably some of the tastiest citrus fruit I’ve ever had. I based this recipe on one that appeared in Sunset Magazine. It uses a sugar-clove mixture to coat the rim of the glass that tastes phenomenal with the citrus flavor of the drink. Also, one of my favorite things about making this drink is that you get to muddle! Always a bonus.

Clove Clementine Sidecar
Makes one drink

3 tbsp of sugar
1 tsp ground cloves
2 clementines, quartered
½ lemon, quartered
ice
2 ounces of Whisky (I used Dickel, but feel free to use whatever you like. Also, feel free to be a little heavy-handed here ;)

Use 1 tbsp of the sugar and mix with the ground clover. Spread over a plate. Rim the edge of a Martini glass with lemon juice, then holding it upside down at an angle, run it through the sugar-clove mixture until coated.

In a cocktail shaker, add 2 tbsp of sugar, the clementines, and lemon (you can add them all with the peel still on.) Use a muddler or back of a spoon to muddle the fruit with the sugar. Add half a cup of ice, and whisky. Shake until the shaker becomes icy cold.

Strain into the rimmed martini glass with a fine strainer, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment