Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Up the Beach

As I’ve mentioned in pretty much every post since Drowning in the Dark came out, I’ve been working hard on the second book in the series – getting it ready for its June release. It hasn’t been an easy journey. I’ve come up against a lot of roadblocks along the way. However, finally, finally, finally, I feel like it’s starting to all come together.

During this time, I’ve been thinking a lot about the setting of the book. It takes place at the Oregon Coast. Even though I live in Oregon, I haven’t been to the coast in about two or three years. But I love it -- that’s why I set the book there. Because the place is so atmospheric and soulful. The smell of the salt water in the air, the crashing of the waves, white foam chasing after your feet. The immense space of it all. Beaches that just go on and on, full of crab shells, broken sandollars, washed-up kelp, and bone-white driftwood.

I was seven when my family moved from Los Angeles to Oregon. We lived in a suburb of Portland, and we used to go to the beach a lot it seemed. Some of my best memories of growing up are spending misty days at the beach during the summers and falls.

Anyway, I’ve been dreaming of it a lot lately while writing the second book in the series. I was thinking too about the soundtrack to my series. I know, I know. It’s kind of cliché. But thinking about the coast, and music related to the Sam’s story has actually really helped me get through some roadblocks in the book. I’m not sure why, but the music has helped me create a clearer atmosphere. Plus, I love playing DJ.

The first time I saw the Oregon Coast, I was seven years old, and it was the 90’s, so I thought that a 90’s influenced soundtrack would be appropriate. Not all of them are from that era, but I think all these songs have a feel about them that fit in with the book’s theme and atmosphere. So here’s a list:

Drowning in the Dark Soundtrack
Up the Beach – Jane’s Addiction
Blue Light – Mazzy Star
Galapagos – The Smashing Pumpkins
Cloudbusting – Kate Bush
Wicked Blood – Sea Wolf
Summer – Buffalo Tom
Dearly Departed – Holly Golightly and the Brokeoffs
Look For Me (I’ll Be Around) – Neko Case
Indifference – Pearl Jam
Tranquilize – The Killers
In the Arms of Sleep – The Smashing Pumpkins
Say Hello to the Angels – Interpol
Turquoise Days -- Echo and the Bunnymen

More to come for Drowning in the Dark II!

No comments:

Post a Comment